Tuesday, 12 March 2013

week 8

Last week was all about proof assignment. For me, at first, I have no idea how to do it. I was not really familiar with proof. I've tried to read course notes, however, this time was different than the first assignment. In the first assignment, It helps me to understand the material by reading the course notes and tutorial. But, the course notes about proof was not really helpful for me, because there are more theory than the proof example that I can look at. Tutorial exercise on the other hand, quite helpful, because I have an extra notes from TA. But still, it was not really easy to solve the proof question, because its not that we can find any hints or anything in tutorial or course notes. We have to actually think and do it our selves. Me and my partner spent a lot of time doing it. I did a lot of scratch note to find the proof. But at the end we finished it. It was not really easy, but not so complicated as well.

Our strategy to do the assignment were not different from others I think. First, we look at the questions, try to do scratch notes and determine to disproof or proof. As we were taught, negate if we want to disprove and not if we want to proof. From there, if we find the answer, we just construct the proof structure and type it. The typing process took quite a lot of time as well. It is really difficult to find the symbols, let along the fractions for question 5 or 1.

My lesson from this assignment that I will take to do better in the next assignment are, first, do it early. We did not do it early enough for this assignment. We did it last minutes. That is why maybe we did not as well as if we did it early. Time is very important for this assignment, because there are many scratch work to do to find the proof. Also, I should have go to office hours early when I am stuck. three days before we suppose to submit, I did not have time to go to office hours, the only opportunity I had was with the TA in the tutorial and with Prof. Heap after the class end, and I think that was really helpful. If only I ask many more times, I would have had better result for this assignment. All in all, at least 3 questions is right, hopefully I got part marks for the others.

And one more thing about proof, how do we know when we should use proof by cases?or when we suppose to use proof by other method?

Enough for the assignment 2, move on to this week material. This week material was about the running time for the code. I have not really familiar yet. I do not quite understand yet. Tutorial this week unlike the others tutorial was different. I do not understand a lot of things in the tutorial last Tuesday. I was hoping to understand it more in the tutorial, but maybe I was to distracted with the assignment. The quiz was the hardest too, I think I did not do well on quiz last week. I will just read the course notes to understand it better. And I hope next chapter is going to be easier.

3 comments:

  1. You use proof by cases when you actually have to prove a statement for different cases. That's the only rule. So, if you end up with something like a => (b or c) or something like (a or b) => c, then it's obvious that you need to have cases in your proof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, just to make sure, proof by cases is needed when the case of "or" only? other than that, i should not use proof by cases?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it won't be that obvious.. Let me give you an example.. Sometimes you may be asked to prove something about all natural numbers.. But then, you may find it very difficult to prove it in the same way for all numbers.. Then you may have to create cases.. like even/odd numbers.. A tip is that when you have to prove something about "mod" you probably need to use cases.

    ReplyDelete